While we consider North Downtown a safe place to live, our neighborhood is not immune to car or home break-ins. If you or someone you know has been a victim or becomes a victim of a crime, please report it, regardless of how small. The non-emergency number (434.977.9041) or the city police website (http://www.charlottesville,org/police) are available options for reporting if you choose not to call 911. If you are a victim of a home invasion, call 911 immediately. The following are a few tips that have been shared in the past but worth a reminder:
- Lock your vehicle and your home.
- Remove your valuables from the car.
- Never leave anything of value in your car in plain sight.
- Leave your exterior house lights on, if you don’t have motion detector lights.
- If you see or hear anything suspicious in your neighborhood, call the police to investigate.